Eat Well. Be Well. Incorporating Superfoods Into Your Everyday Eating

by Meagan Faison
Who knew the phrase “You are what you eat” was so real.
One of my goals for this year (and the rest of my life) was to eat better - more fruits and veggies and less junk. I’m happy to report to the class that I have been doing well! I’ve cut out most red meat from my diet, I live at Trader Joe’s and I am very strict about the fast food places that I eat from.

Aside from feeling good about myself, I notice that my skin has been more clear, my weight doesn’t fluctuate as much and I have a lot more energy during the day.   
I credit a lot of my eating success to the late, great Dr. Sebi. Dr. Sebi was a famed herbologist and natural healer in Honduras who promoted the use of herbs, grains and organic fruits and vegetables as healing agents. He was not a licensed physician, but he had a strong following which included Michael Jackson and Lisa ‘Lefteye’ Lopes.

Dr. Sebi created an ever-evolving list of superfoods to have in your diet. Here are some of the foods that I have found to be the easiest to incorporate into my daily eating.

Cucumber
Anyone who knows me will tell you that I refuse to function without my cucumber water. I know it’s difficult for a lot of people to drink as much water as they should because of the flavorlessness of it. Cucumber is great because it gives water much more of a taste and it has a ton of nutrients.

Cucumber made up of 95% water itself so it’s great to keep you hydrated and is also an awesome detox. It’s good for your skin and hair and reduces your risks for diabetes and cancer, which is always great.

Coconut Oil
The power of coconut oil can truly never be overstated. You can literally use it for everything. Everything includes: on your skin, in your hair, in your food, to lose weight, to gain muscle, to fight infections and diseases like cancer and diabetes...the list goes on and on.


Coconut oil is really easy to incorporate into your diet since it’s so versatile. In my day to day I like to put a few drops into my smoothies, coffee, or tea. You can also use it when cooking or baking to replace butter or vegetable oil.

Hemp seeds
These little seeds are packed with protein and nutrients. They’re really beneficial for people who are trying on a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle. I like to sprinkle them in my smoothies (I drink a lot of smoothies guys), oatmeal, muffins and yogurt. It also comes in an oil version.

Fun fact about hemp seeds….they are in the same ‘plant family’ as cannabis. Don’t worry, they won’t get you high.

Avocado
Avocado is a major key in the health department. It literally took me FOREVER to hop on the cado-train. It takes a while to get past the mushy interior texture of the avocado, but once you do you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
avocado, fruit, seed, food, healthy

A lot of people really enjoy avocado spread over toast or on sandwiches. In my opinion, guacamole seems to be the easiest way to eat avocado for me because I was a Latina in a past life and I LOVE Latin cuisine. For me, guac is best when mixed with salsa, queso and a martini!
This little fruit is filled with potassium and fiber, making it great for people trying to lose weight because it makes you feel fuller longer. You can even mush it up and use it as a face mask!

Kale
Kale has become a well known superfood, and the best of the best of the leafy-greens. Kale has a ton of nutrients and vitamins but it’s also a really good detox - meaning it will help clean out your body of toxins making it great for losing weight and keeping skin clear.
Kale seems to be the best in salads (shocker) and it’s also pretty easy to slide some in a smoothie without changing the flavor too much. I’m also currently obsessed with Chick-fil-A’s superfood side which is a cup of kale and broccoli mixed with cherries and nuts. It’s sooooo good and you feel super healthy after eating it.

What superfoods are your favorite?
 photo www.GIFCreator.me_VNQbu6_zpsvg3sfq8t.gif

About Us

Quirky, Brown Love is a media outlet for quirky, brown millennials. EST 2014.

Email Bryanda Law, Editor-in-Chief
editor@quirkybrownlove.com