Break Up With Your Makeup: My Struggle With My Skin

Thank you Galderma Laboratories, L.P.,makers of  Mirvaso® (brimonidine) Gel, 0.33%*, for sponsoring this post. Vote for your favorite no-makeup selfies here to enter into Galderma’s “Break Up with Your Makeup” sweepstakes for a chance to win one of three $500 gift cards.

When I first started blogging, I debated just how real I would get with my readers. People see me now as the fun-loving, quirky woman that I have grown into; however, I rarely talk about the hardships and trials that it has taken me to get to this point.

Luckily, I am currently pretty confident in myself (well, somewhat...let’s be honest); however this is only after years of ridicule. One thing that I have always struggled with is my problem skin. I was constantly picked on because of my skin (people can be so cruel!).

I remember looking in the mirror and trying to picture myself without skin issues. I would dim the lights in the bathroom and stand far away from the mirror and pretend that my skin was clear (I have bad vision without glasses, so it worked out for me).

I always used to say that I would be so pretty if I had clearer skin. 

With how bad my vision was, I remember crying the first time that I got contacts, not because the contacts hurt, but because I could actually see how horrible my skin really was, no matter how far away I stood from the mirror. I was absolutely miserable.

Luckily, I was fortunate enough to afford a visit to a dermatologist and was diagnosed with rosacea; however, I remember relying on makeup to boost my self-esteem. I remember the first time that I wore makeup to school: I felt like people were seeing me for the first time. You could no longer see my bad skin because it was covered under foundation. It was great...until it wasn’t. I became dependent on makeup which only made it worse. One day, I was left with no other option but to break up with my makeup and it was the best decision that I ever made.

Although I still have some occasional redness from rosacea, I no longer feel like I need makeup to make me feel beautiful. This is why I am so excited to have the chance to partner with Galderma Laboratories, L.P. to help any women out there who are thinking about making the plunge and ending their dependency on makeup.

 In an era where “Instagram Baddies” rule the internet, I feel so original to take pictures that actually show my bare skin! It was definitely a work in progress for me to get to this point.

If you are considering ending your relationship with your makeup but still feel insecure about your rosacea, definitely talk to your doctor to discuss treatment options, such as Galderma's Mirvaso® (brimonidine) Gel, 0.33%*, which treats the persistent facial redness of rosacea.


Mirvaso Gel claims to work fast at reducing redness, and provides same-day results that may last up to 12 hours. To learn more about Mirvaso Gel and other rosacea treatments offered by Galderma, visit the Break Up with Your Makeup page.

While you're there, vote on your favorite no-makeup selfie to enter into the sweepstakes for a chance to win one of three $500 gift cards!

Now you know I have to keep my beautiful readers safe! Make sure to check out all of the safety information below, as you should with any new product you try. But of course, you already knew that, shawty.




Disclaimer: Your girl is getting paid(hehe)! As a valued reader, thank you so much for supporting me while I partner with brands that help me tell my stories through their sponsorship. I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.

About Us

Quirky, Brown Love is a media outlet for quirky, brown millennials. EST 2014.

Email Bryanda Law, Editor-in-Chief
editor@quirkybrownlove.com