To The Creative Mind Who Thinks College Is Hindering Their Entrepreneurship

Let's be real for a second: sometimes college seems like it's only preparing you for the slim chance that you try out for jeopardy. 


Everyone is required to take several hours of general education courses in topics that are not required for 98% of the careers that people want. To the creative soul, this can be disheartening and seem like a waste of time. Trust me, I know how you are feeling.

Even though the career that I want requires a degree, I still remember thinking when I was in college how much further I could be in my entrepreneurial ventures if I didn't have to go to class. Why spend hours learning information that I am just going to dump at the end of the semester, when I could be using that time to start a successful business?
source
Personally, I feel like no one has the right to judge someone on whether or not they go to college, especially since many people go into fields that don't even apply their degrees.

Unfortunately, we don't live in an idealistic world.

Millennials have realized that not everyone needs to go to college to be successful, so we have taken this idea and decided to run with it. With blogging, video making and social media influence, there has been a boom in entrepreneurship within our generation.

I'm sure that if you are reading this post, you are probably on the fence on whether or not you should make like Kanye and drop out of college. 
You probably clicked on this praying that this post would be your sign from God on whether or not to follow the nagging desire in your brain to focus solely on entrepreneurship. I doubt that I will live up to that expectation, but what I can promise you is realism.

When I was in college, I had this idea of how my life would be after I served my 4 year paid sentence (the student loan struggle is oh so real). I was the type of person that could tell you step by step the plan that I had for my life 10 years down the road before I could tell you what I planned to eat for dinner that night. I wrote down my goals daily and just new that I could have everything that I wanted if I just had more time.

After I got out of college, I did become an entrepreneur, but not with what I originally put my energy into when I was an undergraduate. I can't give college all of the credit, but there were several aspects of my university experience that led me to the path that I'm following today. If I could wrap up all of the value that I received from my degree into a few bullet points, this would be my list:

1. Networking
There are so many creative people in college and for the most part everyone one there wants to do something to be successful. If you aren't surrounding yourself with people who are inspiring you to work harder, you are in the wrong circle, my friend.

2. Internships/Externships
Most businesses that are open to interns are looking for people that are working on a college degree. Most actually put it down as a requirement in the internship requirements. I encourage all budding entrepreneurs to take notes from people who have done what you are trying to accomplish.

3. References
Let's say that you need a 9-5 while you build your business. Build relationships in college with people who would be happy to refer you.

4. Credibility
People can try and front all that they please, but society still puts a lot of emphasis on the thick sheet of paper that comprises your diploma. Besides that, when I talk to someone who has graduated college, I instantly assume that they know how to handle hard work and some seemingly impossible tasks (just like completing your 15 page paper with a hangover seemed impossible, but I'm sure you handled yourself well).
source
Besides, going to college and experiencing all the craziness from people from different backgrounds is almost enough to make anyone woke. I know I'm not the only one who spent way to make hours watching conspiracy theories on YouTube...

Another thing to consider while thinking about ditching college is if your major is right for what you are trying to accomplish. If you are wanting to become an entrepreneur but are currently in a chemistry major, something may need to change.

Either way, don't let go of that creative juice that is flowing through you. Just learn how to finesse the system to help you become well equipped to pursue your entrepreneurial dreams.

About Us

Quirky, Brown Love is a media outlet for quirky, brown millennials. EST 2014.

Email Bryanda Law, Editor-in-Chief
editor@quirkybrownlove.com