Multipassionate Entrepreneur Blake Von D Seamlessly Meshes Academia With Creativity

I don't know too many people who could practice law and still have enough time to make it into ELLE Magazine's 11 Bloggers To Watch In 2016 list.
Blake Von D is too busy breaking barriers to pay attention to the restrictions that society tries to put on women in professional fields. This creative lady has blended her passion for law and fashion seamlessly on her blog, BlakeVonD.com.

Blake Von D on the inspiration of her blog
"When it first began on New Year’s Eve 2008, Blake Von D was intended to simply be the ramblings of a soon-to-be college graduate who was unsure about what sort of future lie ahead and who was not yet comfortable in her own skin. But I soon found that I had unknowingly birthed a place where girls who, like me, were still growing into the leaders and confident women they desired to be, could come together from all over the world and inspire each other to embrace their inevitable greatness.
"Forever a lover of art, I have always seen fashion as a way of expressing yourself and it wasn’t long before my readers took notice. As the comments of support during a noticeably unstable period of my life started to pour in, so did the questions about the inspiration behind my personal style and requests for the retail details. I gladly obliged… and (luckily) they kept coming back!"

As a creative entrepreneur who is multipassionate as well, Blake Von D's story resonates with me on a spiritual level.
I have been trying to rack my brain about how I am going to be both a physician and an online creative, and now I know the answer: decide not to settle.
Blake Von D
"After graduating from Spelman College in 2009, being the adventure seeker that I am, I packed my bags and headed for The Big Apple. It was during this time that I really began to make a name for myself in the world of blogging, with features on Essence.com, Fashion Bomb Daily and Refinery29—and all while earning a Master’s Degree from NYU.

"Not one to settle, in 2012, I decided to pursue her life long dream of becoming an attorney and enrolled in law school at Tulane University."
On not passing the bar the first time 
"Even though I knew I had worked hard and the test isn't one of intelligence, it was a major blow to my ego. So for a week, I licked my wounds and did my best to put it behind me (a trip to South Africa helped!). Once I was back and after realizing I was in DAMN good company (some of the most successful people in history have failed the bar [including Michelle Obama]), I made the choice to put my head down and get it done this time.
"I studied twice as hard as I did the first time around--often staying up for more than 24 hours at a time. But unfortunately, by the time the exam rolled around, I was running on E. Day 1 of the exam I woke up with the worst migraine of my LIFE. The words on the screen looked like Russian. Stop asking me things I don't know! I spent 8 hours fighting back tears.

"Once back to my hotel room, the flood gates broke. I called my friend in inconsolable tears. All that hard work WASTED. I KNEW I hadn't passed. Once she was able to understand what I was saying, she simply said, 'Are you done? What about your life has been easy? What goal have you set that you haven't accomplished? Go to sleep, get it done tomorrow. Good night.'
"Day 2 I went into the exam determined to forget about day 1 and just get it done--lingering headache and all...IT. IS. DONE! Success delayed is NOT success denied!"

Takeaway for entrepreneurs: you can pursue multiple passions in different fields. Just decide not to settle.

For your daily dose of inspiration, make sure to follow Blake Von D's Instagram and digital publication

About Us

Quirky, Brown Love is a media outlet for quirky, brown millennials. EST 2014.

Email Bryanda Law, Editor-in-Chief
editor@quirkybrownlove.com