The Melanated Bosses Series: Amira Battle of A. Monaie Designs

Inspired from the "Melanated Goddesses" movement, I present to you the Melanated Bosses Series: a series highlighting young, brown woman bosses from all over. Meet Amira Battle of A. Monaie Designs
Amira Battle, Founder
1. For those who don't know, please tell us about your entrepreneurial ventures!
Hi, I’m Amira the founder of A. Monaie Designs which is actually my first entrepreneurial venture. A. Monaie Designs is a handmade jewelry and accessory company that specializes in customized jewelry to fit your style or brand. I started A. Monaie Designs in my first year of university as a form of self-expression and it has been growing from there. I’m now in my final year of university so I’m looking forward to seeing where my business takes me.
2. What is a typical business day like for you?
This is a super hard question because no day is the same for me! Because I am balancing my business with getting my degree, I have to make sure I schedule time in to do marketing, finance, and website updates. A typical business day starts around 6 am so that I can get as much work done before class as I can. I like to start by checking my emails and social media updates to catch up on anything I might have missed.
Pictured: Nia
3. Did you experience any unforeseen struggles when starting your business? 
Definitely! I thought that as soon as I started making jewelry people would automatically buy it, only if it was that simple. I found myself getting very discouraged because of the high expectations I set for myself and my business. This helped me to really put my degree into practice and invest much needed time into marketing and branding!
4.What inspires you to keep going?
I believe that my business is a gift from God so when I am questioning whether or not to keep going, I just look back at how far He’s brought me and look forward to where He’s bringing me. I feel that my business is not just a business, but a journey. Every day I am growing, learning, and blossoming into the woman I was made to be.
Pictured: Anna De-Jesus
5. What's next on your business agenda?Are you planning to expand?
I am in the process of launching a custom accessory styling service. You can send me a photo of your outfit or inspiration and have a custom made accessory to perfectly match it. We’re going to be offering a trial period with a huge discount. I’m super excited for this because I believe jewelry should be an extension of your personality and style.
6. How did you determine your personal style/your brand?
It’s still a work in progress really! I’m trying to develop a casual yet sophisticated style. I have been thinking a lot about what kind of statement I want to make. Pinterest has been a huge help in finding inspiration from a variety of sources.
Pictured:Mary Monrose
7. Do you have any quirky characteristics that you believe make you unique?
Two quirky characteristics of mine are my eating habits and love for lists. I have been known to eat beets in the middle of the night or drink cabbage juice. I just love vegetables! As for the list thing, I just love having plans laid out in front of me. Sometimes I have no idea what I’m doing or what I need to do. The lists help me keep focused and make sure I don’t forget anything.
Pictured: Carrie Tong
Check out my custom earrings from A. Monaie Designs. Easily a new favorite.
Make sure to follow A. Monaie Designs on social media.
Facebook: facebook.com/amonaiedesigns Instagram: instagram.com/amonaiedesigns Twitter: twitter.com/amonaiedesigns Pinterest: pinterest.com/amonaiedesigns

About Us

Quirky, Brown Love is a media outlet for quirky, brown millennials. EST 2014.

Email Bryanda Law, Editor-in-Chief
editor@quirkybrownlove.com