Kamasi Washington Shares His Top Advice For Aspiring Musicians

Kamasi Washington is the ultimate proof that consistent passion will lead to success. Playing music since childhood, the thirty-five year old jazz saxophonist's life has transformed since the 2015 release of his three-hour album, The Epic.

The Inglewood native has collaborated with several artists, including Kendrick Lamar, Lauryn Hill, Nas, Snoop Dogg, Flying Lotus, Thundercat and has played in several music festivals including Coachella, Art of Cool (basically, the Coachella of Jazz) and now Bonnaroo.
Photo Credit: Mike Park
Before taking on his cross-continental tour, Washington took a few moments to sit down with Quirky, Brown Love Editor, Bryanda Law to talk about his acclaimed album, The Epic as well as his advice for aspiring musicians:
On his album, "The Epic"
"When I finished I knew that I had made something really cool. I didn't even know how it was going to come out. I just know that I wanted to make something that was who I am musically. I was thinking more like that I wanted to tell my kids that I was cold back in the day. Ha!"

On his recording process:
"I write music all of the time. I don't record things over and over again. I record everything once and then move onto the next song. If at the end of the day I don't like something, then I'll go back and record that set."

Advice to aspiring musicians:  
"Have perseverance. Music is a life journey. If you want to be an artist that does this for a career you have to, one, come into yourself and, two, you have to wait for the world to be ready for you. There's no telling how long that will take. I would also say just enjoy playing music. Before this, I didn't really have the personal success that people look for, but I had musical success. I used to play music all of the time, going to jam sessions. I was enjoying life because I enjoyed playing music, not necessarily because of success. I think artists should take this approach."

Listen to Kamasi Washington:

About Us

Quirky, Brown Love is a media outlet for quirky, brown millennials. EST 2014.

Email Bryanda Law, Editor-in-Chief
editor@quirkybrownlove.com