Please Don't Kill My Vibe: How to Find Inner Peace Through Meditation

by Meagan Faison
There’s no denying it, 2016 is in full swing. So if January was your practice and February was the warm-up, then March is game time. If you’re like me and still trying to figure everything out in your life, I’ve found something that’s helped me a lot this year: Meditation.

One of my goals for this year is to find and keep peace of mind. I’m working on letting go of situations and people that make me feel unhappy, stressed or inadequate. Meditating helps to clear my mind, raise my positive vibrations and let go of any negative thoughts or energy.

Meditation is a known practice believed to have originated in the eastern world, but it was also practiced by the Ancient Egyptians. The techniques and elements of meditation overlap with some cultural differences, but the point of it all is consciousness.

My super-conscious hair stylist Kristie was the one who first suggested it. She put me on to Infinite Waters, a YouTube channel by Ralph Smart that’s all about positive living.

I won’t even pretend to know all of the ins and outs of yoga and meditating. I just know the basics, how it makes me feel and what works for me.

Here’s some tips for getting started:

  1. Find a time that works for you: I find it works best for me to meditate twice a day: right when I wake up and before I go to sleep. 
  2. Find the space that works for you: I honestly enjoy meditating on my bed (Not lazy! Convenient).
  3. Find the pose that works for you: The two main poses that I do are the lotus (sitting) and the morbidly-named corpse pose (lying down).

To get started I take three deep breaths (in through the nose, out through the mouth). From there you simply breathe normally and try to clear your mind. The easiest way for me when I was getting started was to counting from 1 to 20. I also found it helpful to listen to music or relaxing sounds; there are a ton all over YouTube and several on the Infinite Waters channel too.

I’m not gonna lie, meditation was everything I needed to my life. Seriously, though. Being out of college, and trying to handle jobs, guys, relationships, family, bills, my weight, my looks, my goals and aspirations…OMG it’s stressful just to think about it. Just having a few minutes everyday to decompress really is priceless. Once you’ve found a way to incorporate meditation into your daily routine, you’ll be surprised how quickly you feel yourself changing. I found myself actually feeling lighter, happier, calmer and less ready to clap back so quickly at every negative thing that comes my way.

Namaste y’all! 

About Us

Quirky, Brown Love is a media outlet for quirky, brown millennials. EST 2014.

Email Bryanda Law, Editor-in-Chief
editor@quirkybrownlove.com