The Melanated Bosses Series: Janelle Reeves of The Fine Hanger

Inspired from the "Melanated Goddesses" movement, I present to you the Melanated Bosses Series: a series highlighting young, brown woman bosses from all over. Meet Janelle Reeves of The Fine Hanger.
1. For those who don't know, please tell us about your entrepreneurial ventures!
I am the owner of the online store TheFineHanger.com.  I'm also working on a separate Plus Size clothing web-store as well as a shoe site. I also have a few other ventures in the works that I'm partner in and can't quite  discuss yet. 

2. Your brand exudes pride and confidence. Have you ever doubted yourself as a Black woman business owner?

Thank you for the compliment. I wake up everyday knowing that mistakes can happen but even more positive productive things will happen to counteract that. So I have a solid mind in that regard. Also I never worry about what others think or even what they are doing. I am always aware of competition but never so much so that I doubt myself. 

3. Did you experience any unforeseen struggles when starting your business?

I definitely have experienced some unforeseen struggles, mostly in the beginning. But I know I have much much more to learn, they key is learning from struggle and planning accordingly. 


4.What inspires you to keep going?

My main inspiration is my child. Second is to one day use my brand and or my voice to continuously help those who are less fortunate. 



5. What's next on your business agenda? Are you planning to expand?

I'm working on a few things now with department stores. Can't quite discuss them just yet. But yes, I'm excited for the future. 



6. How did you determine your personal style/your brand?

I've always loved life in a visual way. 
I love color and texture. I've always loved fashion so my personal style comes from my mood, my vibe, my inspiration from music, art, weather, family etc. 


7.Do you have any quirky characteristics that you believe make you unique?

I work non-stop...literally, I love working. I can recite the 50 states on queue lol. And I can spend 5-8 hours at the mall easily....I guess that helps for my career. 

8. Any advice to any 20-somethings out there wanting to start their own business?
Be serious, do something everyday towards your goal, literally everyday. 

Make sure to also follow Janelle and The Fine Hanger on social media:
WebsiteTheFineHanger.com 
Instagram:  @thefinehanger
Twitter : @thefinehanger
Facebook:@thefinehanger 

About Us

Quirky, Brown Love is a media outlet for quirky, brown millennials. EST 2014.

Email Bryanda Law, Editor-in-Chief
editor@quirkybrownlove.com