Quirky, Brown Chick: Gabriella

If I had it my way, all of the quirky, brown chicks of the world would come together, become friends and sing kumbaya while listening to Solange and drinking craft beer. Until that day comes, I present to you the Quirky, Brown Chick series. Meet Gabriella of Nerdette At Large.
1. How would you describe your personal style?
I like to think of my style as nerd/comfy. Almost all of my outfits, have some type of fandom attribute to it and I love being able to show it off in my outfits. When I fangirl, I do it hard, and I like being able to spark conversation wherever I go, because someone has something to say about my shirt. 
2. What song are you vibing with right now?
I finished Season Four of Scandal a couple of weeks ago, and thanks to dancing Olivia, I have had Stevie Wonder's Don't you worry about a thing, on constant rotation ever since. If not that then, Around the Clock by Tink, 100 Grandkids by Mac Miller or The Night is Still young by Nicki Minaj. 
3. Favorite place that you have traveled?
I traveled a lot when I was younger with my parents, but I think I was too young to actually favorite one of the places I visited. So I think right now its a tie between going to New York City,  and Washington State. Although, I didn't get to do a lot of sightseeing in either place, the journey to NYC with my parents playing Name that movie in the car, and taking my first cross country road trip with my boyfriend, Alex.
4.Favorite pastime?
Hmm, this one is really hard. I blog about my life, Nerdy thoughts, and what I do in my spare time, so most people already know that I love watching anime, and foreign movies, and spending way too much time playing video games.  One of my favorite pastimes would have to be watching old televisions shows. I absolutely love spending a saturday watching episodes of Batman ('66), Murder She Wrote, the Munsters, The original Stark Trek, and so forth. 
5. What is something about you that people wouldn't expect?
One thing a lot of people are surprised to learn about me, is that I love to knit! I have a (slightly) crazy yarn stash, and I can't stop by Michaels, Hancock Fabrics, Jo-ann's or an actual local yarn store and not buy at least one ball of yarn, or a new set of needles. I have my own knitting bag that I carry with me, so I can work on my projects on the go. Its such a calming activity and I thoroughly enjoy doing it while watching a Korean Drama. My favorite ones to knit to are Vampire Prosecutor, Heartstrings and Coffee Prince, I watch all my K-Dramas on Hulu.
6. Tell us about your Blog!
I run a nerdy lifestyle blog called Nerdette At Large. I run a M-W-F posting schedule, in which I write about Comic Books, Video Games, My fandoms and anything else that captures my attention. I love highlighting things that make me "weird" and showing others that its ok to be different, its ok to like these things and as long as it makes you happy, who gives a flying crap about what others think?
7. What/who inspires you?
I get inspiration from pretty much anything that catches my attention. If I had to choose a couple it would probably be Randi from Milk and Twee, Jamila from Girl Gone Geek, and Rose Berch's art. I am such a sucker for Packaging. Its a huge inspiration for me too.

8. What stereotypes about the Black community do you wish you could destroy?
There are so many stereotypes I wish I could destroy. I work really hard to smush as many as I come across. One really big one for me is "respectability politics". Non-POC love to tell us, that if we were "nicer, more polite, less angry" these "things" wouldn't happen to us. Police wouldn't racially profile us, if we listen to every little nuanced thing a police officer says, like a good little slave that they won't kill us. Respectability Politics is complete Bullshit. If they want to kill us they will, if they want to spend their entire bloody work day, following us around while we shop, they will because other people say as long as we are sweet, docile and subdued we won't be hurt. That's just not true. I am tired of having to be polite and quiet while injustice swirls around me. If I could destroy anything it would be the thought that Respectability politics will save us from racists and bigots who have nothing better to do with their time, then to destroy any and everything that we work hard for and hold most dear. 
9. Anything else? 
I just wanted to thank you so much for having me. If you'd like to know where to reach me, save all the links below, and I hope to see you guys around the site. So come talk to me, I give excellent conversation.

About Us

Quirky, Brown Love is a media outlet for quirky, brown millennials. EST 2014.

Email Bryanda Law, Editor-in-Chief
editor@quirkybrownlove.com