A Fly Drowned In My Beer, And It Changed My Whole Perspective On Life

Before I dive into this post, I swear that I am completely sober while writing this.

A few weeks ago, I was having a kickback at my apartment. It was the end of the work week, so I decided that I earned a few craft brews. After sipping on my second mug of Aviator's Devil's Tramping Ground, I sat my beer down on my coffee table as I, um, "broke the seal".

To my dismay, when I arrived back to my seat to finish my beer, I noticed a black speck with wings floating around in my booze. My first thought was "dang fruit fly, you ruined a perfectly hoppy beer!" I then contemplated drinking around the fly and chancing the extra protein, but later decided to scoop the fruitfly out with a spoon and trade beers with my willing boyfriend. After the incident I was super paranoid and covered my mug with a coaster anytime that I left my beer idle. I'm not sure why that fly landing in my beer bothered me so much (probably because I am a bit of a germaphobe), but I went to Google and looked up why fruit flies are attracted to beer.

It turns out that fruit flies are attracted to fermented fruit and liquids (i.e. beer, wine, liquor, vinegar). Humans have taken advantage of this by making vinegar-based fly traps for kitchens that have a fruit fly problem.

So in short, the fruit fly was attracted to my beer and my beer killed it, right? Wrong.

The fermented liquid that was my beer did not kill the fruit fly. It was the fact that there was so much heavy liquid that the fruit fly was weighed down and drowned. If the fly had instead decided to drink from the beer that I spilled besided my mug, it would not have drowned. As much of a stretch as this may seem, this same concept applies to our lives. As humans, we have several loads that weigh us down, all of which separately seem like tasks that we can handle. Maybe its a job, school, children, obligations to community programs, and a relationships, all of which started off as initially attractive and tasks that you were willing to take on.

I'm no different. For me it's all of the above, minus children (though my blog is like my baby now). Going into these attractive tasks started off great. I felt accomplished taking on this load and was motivated to drive towards my reward; however, after a while all of these obligations began to weigh me down. Even with this weight, I drove forward because I had already announced my commitment. But then, I began to feel stuck, as if I couldn't pick myself out of the mess I made. I started to panic as I fell deeper and deeper due to my inability to say no to oncoming obligations. I felt like this tragedy was happening to me, but in reality I did it to myself. I took in more than I could swallow and was dealing with the consequences. I could have easily drowned.

Instead of drowning, I swam to the edge of the beer mug and waited for some of the liquid to go down. Although, I'm no longer drowning, I am now hanging onto the glass grasping for air. Recovering.

No one was coming by with a life boat or a spoon to get me out of my mess. I had to take responsibilty and decide that it was time to make a change. Sure, you are most likely going to piss some people off in the process and that's okay. I was upset with the fly that was swimming in my beer, but what did I do to save it? If the people that are causing you stress don't offer any solutions to help you, I say that you need to re-evalute your commitment to them.

You and only you know how much that you can take, so don't let the initial excitement of a prize or goal make you feel like you are forced to commit.

RELEVANT READS
1.We Were Late On Rent This Month, But We Decided To Be Happy
2.What To Do When You Realize That You Are Starting To Not Like People
3.Carefree Spirit, It's Okay To Admit That You Love The Idea of Travel, But Are Afraid To Actually Do It

About Us

Quirky, Brown Love is a media outlet for quirky, brown millennials. EST 2014.

Email Bryanda Law, Editor-in-Chief
editor@quirkybrownlove.com