The Melanated Bosses Series: Flight Attendant, Katrina Morrison

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to have a career as a flight attendant? If so, you are in for a treat for this Melanated Bosses feature! Meet the super amazing Katrina of My Mommy Flies. She is a flight attendant for a major airline and talks about life as a flight attendant with a family.
Flight Attendant, Katrina Morrison | Quirky, Brown Love
1. What inspired you to become a flight attendant? 
I wanted to see more of the world. I've been in the travel industry for years but didn't travel as much as I would've liked.  Being a flight attendant allows me to meet new people, explore new cultures, and get paid for it.

2. What is a typical day like at work? 
The beauty of flying is that everything changes especially my schedule.  I sometimes start my work day in the early morning or mid afternoon. I usually work 3-4 flights a day depending on the flight times and 1 flight if I'm going international. I end my day by staying the night at a company provided hotel.  or layover. Most of my trips are 3 days of flying.
Flight Attendant, Katrina Morrison | Quirky, Brown Love

3. How hard is it juggling working on the plane with your family? 
Does your family ever come with you?  Being a parent is difficult without being at work. The biggest challenge of being a flight attendant mom is keeping up with our family's schedule.  Soccer games, school performances,  PTA meetings and Girl Scouts I have 4 calendars just to keep me on task.  I like to be present for all the important stuff with my family, I have enough flexibility so it usually works out but it takes planning.  I haven't taken them on a trip with me yet, perhaps when they are a little older.
Flight Attendant, Katrina Morrison | Quirky, Brown Love
4. What's the hardest part of your job?
The early morning wake up calls of course.  I'm not really a morning person and I rarely do coffee so I still struggle with this.  I have a little trick though, if I'm greeting passengers that early I put on my reddest matte lipstick and whoala! An instant smile. Mac Ruby Woo

5. Have you ever had any scary moments on flight?  
I'm grateful to say that I have not experienced anything too traumatic on the airplane. Minor medical issues, a few intoxicated passengers here and there, and turbulence keeps me on my toes.
Flight Attendant, Katrina Morrison | Quirky, Brown Love

6.Where is your favorite place that you have traveled?  
New Orleans is one of favorites.  The rich history, language, art, music, and food! You name it and New Orleans has it.  I also really like Paris. On any layover that allows me enough to time to explore the city I'm usually doing that.  I take photos every where I go and share them on my Instagram.  I love touring the capital buildings, thrift stores, and parks.

7. There is a stereotype that Black people don't travel. What do you think of this stereotype?  
Well it's just that. A stereotype.  I see black people all the time during my trips so I don't buy into it.
Flight Attendant, Katrina Morrison | Quirky, Brown Love

8. What would you say to a woman who is considering becoming a flight attendant? 
I say do it.  Especially if you're a mom.  It really is one of the most flexible and rewarding jobs ever.  Not to mention your family gets flight benefits.  My children had passports before their first birthday.  Children need to see the world to know how to change it.
Flight Attendant, Katrina Morrison | Quirky, Brown Love

Looking for travel tips and pins to put on your "Wanderlust" Pinterest board? Check out Katrina's blog!

About Us

Quirky, Brown Love is a media outlet for quirky, brown millennials. EST 2014.

Email Bryanda Law, Editor-in-Chief
editor@quirkybrownlove.com