The Melanated Bosses Series: Tonisha Ramona

Inspired from the "Melanated Goddesses" movement, I present to you the Melanated Bosses Series: a series highlighting young, brown woman bosses from all over. Meet Tonisha of Plush Interior Design
1. For those who don't know, tell us about your entrepreneurial ventures!
My name is Tonisha Ramona, I am a Creative Professional aka an artist who capitalizes off of my talent.  I’m a Professional Dancer &Interior Stylist. {Aka Interior Designer} The last few years have been more dedicated to Interior Styling and less dancing & performing. I started both careers about the same time about 11 years ago and they started to take off and grow at the same time. I started Plush Interior Design while I was in college, it was a hobby, which grew into a business, which styles peoples lives by starting with their home or business. A year ago was the official launch of my blog Living in Fashion, a blog that focuses on how to style your life starting with your home;where I take my readers you on my journey through fashion, style, travel,self-awareness, growth and transformation. I use this blog to share many of the behind the scenes happening of Interior Design & Décor.

2. You are in a career that a lot of people dream of going into but are afraid to pursue. How have you managed 10 successful years in the industry?
Perseverance and ignorance truly is bliss.  Not knowing any other way, and not truly understanding all the obstacles ahead of you can really be to your advantage.Many people are aware of the possibilities of failing therefor they either stop trying, don’t try or talk themselves out of continuing or going forward with their pursuits. Perseverance is very important because you self-employment/entrepreneurship isn’t a road for those who want a continuous smooth sailing experience. You have to understand that bumps in the road are part of the journey. If you don’t want to hit any bumps there is a smooth, beautifully paved road called employment. That road has been built by a company/corporation and it’s quite lovely. Not only will you avoid bumps but you will also get the benefits and perks. If you are not comfortable with the set backs, the trial& errors the mistakes then you entrepreneurship self-employment isn’t for you.

3. Did you experience any unforeseen struggles when starting your business? 
I experienced many actually. My Interior Design company was a hobby, which turned into a business. I didn’t go to school or work for a design firm. I simply had a desire and a bit of talent and ran with it. There were so many unforeseen struggles. Understanding how to manage clients, couples vs.singles, managing contractors, dealing with vendors, placing orders, managing budgets, dealing with housing associations, the lists goes on and on. But I was never in it for the short term or simply to experience the WINS. Some way somehow I always knew that each mistake/error/lesson learned was needed for me to achieve greatness and success.
4.What inspires you to keep going?
My desire to be great, become better and learn is what keeps me going. I remember when I was about 13 years old I would hear Puff Daddy’s songs and hear his voice in the background saying “Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop” and as young as I was and as green as I was related to life, I resonated with that phrase. At that age I didn’t understand exactly what he was saying but I knew the message was a combinations of “never give up” “believe in yourself” “always pursue your goals”. I strongly identified with his energy of innovation meets hard work meets perseverance.  I couldn’t articulate those feelings at the time, but as I reflect on my understanding o fit at the time I explain it in this way. Inevitably what enables me to keep going is the journey not the destination along with my purpose, my talent, my abilities, and my strong desire to share it with the world.  What keeps me going is no matter how many people give up on your or stop believing in you. Death is difficult to watch but there is no death more difficult to watch than witnessing the death of someones soul because they gave up on themselves.
5. What's next on your business agenda?Are you planning to expand?
Great question at a great time! Right now I have a few things in the works.
As for the immediate future here is what my team & I have cooking up now:

Blog: Living In Fashion
We are growing the blog into a source for viewers interested in art, interior fashions & self-development. We have recently added Life Styling articles on the blog that are accompanied with inspirational quotes. One of our favorite features on the blog will consist of us conducting interviews of creative professionals, actors, singer/song writers, directors,photographers & painters to name a few. We will highlight & dissect these creative professionals to understand how their work influences who they are and how they influence their art. It’s a truly fun & new way to experience an artist and we can’t wait to share it with our viewers.

Life Styling Services
We are combining the importance and use of art combined with self-awareness, in other words, a combination of art, interior styling &growing as an individual. I now offer Life Styling services to my clients, where they can learn how to increase their quality of life through self-awareness and personal growth.

Interior Styling Services
Our newest “Interior Design” service is a combination of Interior Styling & Couple counseling. It’s called the “Bonnie & Clyde Décor Blue Print”. We get our couples on the same page regarding their home décor plan and have them working together like Bonnie & Clyde while going down the journey of home decorating. It’s our most popular virtual service.

There is so much we are working on and trying to conquer the world one day at a time!

6. How did you determine your personal style/your brand?
My brand & style has evolved over the years.  My style as an Interior Designer evolved as I grew as an artist. It took me a while to understand what I do, what I do well,and who I wanted to share it with. My style as an artist is very colorful{vibrant & lively} and unexpected. My brand as an Interior Designer is to enhance your experience in the space, to ignite feelings and evoke genuine reactions.
7. Do you have any quirky characteristics that you believe make you unique?
Ahhh, but of course, we all have quirky characteristics, which make unique. I’m not sure how quirky one may find this to be but I’m more than willing to share.
1. I talk to myself, often & in public.
2. I snort when I laugh really hard.
3. When I was little I named myself Tonisha Ramona Michael Jackson Agard, and if my family corrected me I would get upset. To this day my family calls me that and ensures the entire name or initials are on my birthday cake. 
4. When telling stories I am compelled to use the voices &accents of all characters involved. {I always thought it was normal until people told me otherwise in recent years}

Make sure to follow Tonisha on social media:
Blog: Living in Fashion
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlushDesigns
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/tonisharamona/
Instagram: https://instagram.com/tonisharamona/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/PLUSH-INTERIOR-DESIGN/113332915349583?fref=ts

About Us

Quirky, Brown Love is a media outlet for quirky, brown millennials. EST 2014.

Email Bryanda Law, Editor-in-Chief
editor@quirkybrownlove.com