The Melanated Bosses Series: Laura Burge of Cosmic Medium

Inspired from the "Melanated Goddesses" movement, I present to you the Melanated Bosses Series: a series highlighting young, brown woman bosses from all over. Meet Laura Burge of Cosmic Medium.
1. For those who don't know, tell us about your entrepreneurial ventures!
It started out creating artwork and stemmed out from helping individuals and businesses with visual elements of their brand.  After, then I realized that people were not only interested in only buying art but also learning about it, which is why I created Cosmic Medium.  My goal is to encourage my readers to create artwork in any medium they love!

2. What inspired you to start the Illustrated Fashion Tour?
The illustrated fashion tour is a way to introduce new style blogs, fashion and art to my readers. Plus, I love fashion and art so when you mix the two the combination is lovely.  The illustrated Fashion Tour is also a way to challenge my drawing skills, and it keeps me consistently blogging.
3. Did you experience any unforeseen struggles when starting your business?
I did experience financial fight in the beginning.  I had no clue that blogging and creative entrepreneurship would be so expensive. The thing that got me on track financially was to create a create a budget for my training,  education, and materials.

4.What inspires you to keep going?
I continue creating art because God created me in His image! God is the ultimate Artist and through the example I should never give up because he never gave up on me.  Do what you love and love what you do.

5. What's next on your business agenda? Are you planning to expand?
I am planning to expand on a series of books.  I have already begun one, "The Illustrated Blogger". Publishing is uncharted waters for me, and I hope to progress and improve quickly.

6. How did you determine your personal style/your brand?
My style and brand stem from art pieces that I have created long ago that people til this day still love. When I created it, I never thought I would ever use it.

7.Do you have any quirky characteristics that you believe make you unique?
Well, I am a big kid at hearing and get excited to watch "Seven Universe" and look forward to comic book series movies all the time!!

8. Any advice to any 20-somethings out there wanting to start their own business?
Do what you love and love what you do. Always get up more time than you fall.

Make sure to check out the Illustrated Fashion Tour on Laura's Blog, Cosmic Medium and shop her style on Society6!

About Us

Quirky, Brown Love is a media outlet for quirky, brown millennials. EST 2014.

Email Bryanda Law, Editor-in-Chief
editor@quirkybrownlove.com