Quirky, Brown Chick: Monica Vance

If I had it my way, all of the quirky, brown chicks of the world would come together, become friends and sing kumbaya while listening to Solange and drinking craft beer. Until that day comes, I present to you the Quirky, Brown Chick series. Meet Monica of Afrotastic Lady.
1. How would you describe your personal style?
I would say that my personal style is a combination of classic, vintage inspired, and funky clothes. I love cardigans, polka dots, a line dresses, bright colors, and comfy shoes like Toms.  I'm aware of the latest fashion trends, but I tend to dress in clothes that I feel most comfortable in and fit my personality.  

2. What song are you vibing with right now?
I'm so struggling with this question, because I listen to music all of the time. I love music as it expresses so many different feelings. Right now, I am listening to a local Gospel artist named Billy "Church Boy" Powell, and I am really liking his song "I Must Learn."

3. What are you passionate about?
I am passionate about my relationship with God, as He walks with me and encourages me through the challenges of life.. My Christian faith pushes me to love others, even when it is not easy to love. People are not perfect and have their flaws, but I still have to love them. My faith has also given me a passion for justice, especially fair treatment of Black folks. Growing up, my parents instilled a great love of Black culture and history in me. I appreciat the stories that they told me about their Southern upbringing and the books they gave me. When I was an undergrad, I studied Afro American Studies, which further molded my Black identity. Lastly, I would say that I am passionate about the arts, whether it is music, poetry, theater, or other mediums. I love to write, and I love the power that words have. You can use a word to empower someone or to cut them down. I would rather use words to empower others.
4. Favorite place that you have traveled?
Yes, this is my favorite question, and I will keep it to a brief response. I recently went to San Diego, California, and I loved it there. It was different from my native home of New England. It was laidback, chill, and had beautiful ocean views. I love my fellow New Englanders, but folks in California seemed to have warmer personalities.

5.Favorite pastime? 
I love going to music concerts, museums, open mics/poetry slams, and festivals. 
6. What is something about you that people wouldn't expect? 
I have a quiet and sweet demeanor, so folks are always surprised when they hear that I have gone skydiving. It was a fabulous experience,and I would recommend that others try it. 

7. Tell us about your YouTube Channel! 
I have channel called afrotasticlady. I mostly use it for vlogs that I post to my blog. 

8. What/who inspires you? 
I am inspired by God and the Bible. I am inspired by my immediate and extended family members. It's a beautiful thing to be surrounded by so many gifted musicians, academics, pastors, writers, and entrepreneurs. I am encouraged to pursue my passions through the examples of my family members. I am also inspired by Black activists of the past and present. There are far too many people to name, but I am particularly inspired by the local Black activists in my hometown. They are passionate and dedicated people. 



9. What stereotypes about the Black community do you wish you could destroy?

I hate the stereotypes of Black men as absentee fathers and criminals. The media is constantly portraying Black men in these ways, which leads to negative connotations about Black men in the minds of people. It's an everyday struggle to be a Black man or woman in America, but the absentee father and criminal stereotypes make the struggle even harder for Black men.  

10. Anything else?

Favorite quote: "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that" by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Shameless promotion: Check out my  blog y'all at http://afrotasticlady.com/
Come and hear about my faith, my natural hair journey, and my work towards genuinely loving others.

Youtube: afrotasticlady
Instagram: afrotasticlady

About Us

Quirky, Brown Love is a media outlet for quirky, brown millennials. EST 2014.

Email Bryanda Law, Editor-in-Chief
editor@quirkybrownlove.com