The Melanated Bosses Series: Charell Star

Inspired from the "Melanated Goddesses" movement, I present to you the Melanated Bosses Series: a series highlighting young, brown woman bosses from all over. Meet Charell Star from A Girl in a Dress.
1. Tell us about your entrepreneurial ventures!
I am an entrepreneurship and lifestyle blogger. I write about business, fashion, beauty and technology for my site A Girl In A Dress, Mommy Noire and Sister 2 Sister Magazine. I also do influencer partnerships with brands and organizations and moderate panels at events.

2. Did you experience any unforseen struggles when starting your business?
I am a full-time Public Relations professional, so balancing my career with my business was challenging at first. I had to take my organizational skills to the next level and seek out help with projects. The experience has strengthened my ability to take on larger tasks and projects successfully.

3.What inspires you to keep going?
I absolutely love sharing tips about entrepreneurship, fashion, beauty and tech and motivating people grow their businesses. What I do combines all the things that I love and allows me to inspire others to follow their passion. There is nothing better than getting an email from a reader who says they were inspired by a story or will be using the tips I shared. It makes me feel like what I do makes a difference. I also spent part of my life in the foster care system, so there is a big part of me that wants to be a positive example for youth who are currently in the system. I get invited speak on topic of foster care at events and that inspires me to continue to share my personal story and bring all of me into my business.  

4. What's next on your business agenda? Are you planning to expand?
I am always focused on growing my business and my brand and engaging more readers and fans. This year I spoke at Blogger Week and was featured in a series of Target commercials for Black Girls Rock!. I am planning to do more speaking events and influencer partnerships where I can connect with even more people.    
5. How did you determine your personal style?
I like to think of my personal style as effortlessly classic and bold. I absolutely love dresses - hence my blog A Girl In A Dress - but that love grew out of my desire to always look put together without having to spend a lot time getting ready. People make assumptions about women in dresses and I love being able to distort those assumption. I can talk to you just as intelligently and intently on the topics of fashion and beauty as I can on business and technology.

6.Do you have any quirky characteristics that you believe make you unique?
Yes. I think I have a unique ability to try to be positive in even the toughest situations. I once won a happiness award, because I was the most positive person on my team. It is important for me to surround myself with positivity and share positive energy with those around me. I try to also share that same energy with my readers and fans.
7. Any advice to any 20-somethings out there wanting to start their own business?
Just start and don't be afraid to fail. Success comes from doing not wishing. Also, don't allow yourself to be surrounded by negative energy or naysayers. People who change the world are the ones who dare to try something new and different.  

Make sure to check out Charell's blog, A Girl In A Dress, as well as to follow her on social media!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/CharellStar
Instagram: https://instagram.com/charellstar/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/agirlinadress

About Us

Quirky, Brown Love is a media outlet for quirky, brown millennials. EST 2014.

Email Bryanda Law, Editor-in-Chief
editor@quirkybrownlove.com