Self-Care In The Air (Guest Post)

While I am away studying for the Medical College Admissions TestI have invited a few bloggers to entertain you while I am away. I'll be back next week, but until then, enjoy!

Written by Candice of But I'm Not a Critic Though

Since I've graduated college I have noticed a bit of extra time in my weeks. After work, extracurriculars, and the occasional workout sometimes I'll be lucky enough to have an hour a night to myself. As a young adult this brings me a sense of peace followed by a little worry. (Did I forget something?) When that sinking feeling sets in and I double and triple check my calendar to put my mind at ease I enter one of my many self-care regimens. This practice has gained a lot of attention lately. Self-care is exactly what its name entails: caring for yourself. In a fast paced world where people, technology, and everything in between changes and moves rapidly, there should be a small amount of time dedicated to letting yourself unwind. I want to share a few of my self-care practices to assist anyone who needs peaceful time to clear their heads.

Listening to my favorite album, artist, or genre is by far one of my favorite self-care practices. I listen to music as I commute to and from work every day but there's nothing like actually listening to music and hearing it without any distractions. Sometimes I'm accompanied by an ale or glass of wine but other than that it's just me and my tunes. Shameless plug: I write  a music blog that posts 2-3 times a week about any type of music you can think of. I'll link it at the end of this post!

When I'm not reveling in melodies, I like to fire up my Xbox and surf through Netflix or Hulu. I barely watch tv so when I have the urge to watch one of my favorite shows it feels like I'm spoiling myself. Watching a show intently snd following a story like is more rewarding that having the tv on as background noise/light. My favorite summer show is MTV's Teen Wolf. I just started watching  the animated series, Steven Universe too. I've heard nothing but positive things about the show which made me eager to join the fandom.

On the weekends when I don't have errands, events, or mini-trips on my plate I use my Xbox for it's intended purpose, gaming. I haven't dusted the sticks off in a month or so but when I do I like to play Batman Arkham City and Dead or Alive 5 since those are the only games I own right now. I can spend hours trying to complete missions in Arkham or going round for round in hand to hand combat.


These are just a few of the things I like to do to find a little peace in my hectic weeks. I've been actively doing this for about six months now and I can already tell what a huge difference it makes in my moods. I'm happier in general and I feel balanced. As a young adult you owe it to yourself to take time to please you and only you. Don't cheat yourself! 


Make sure to check out Candice's blog as well as to follow her on social media.

About Us

Quirky, Brown Love is a media outlet for quirky, brown millennials. EST 2014.

Email Bryanda Law, Editor-in-Chief
editor@quirkybrownlove.com