Quirky, Brown Chick: Martha Ngatchu

Quirky, Brown Chick: Martha Ngatchu
If I had it my way, all of the quirky, brown chicks of the world would come together, become friends and sing kumbaya while listening to Solange and drinking craft beer. Until that day comes, I present to you the Quirky, Brown Chick series. Meet Martha of  It’s in the Details, Dahhling.
Quirky, Brown Chick: Martha Ngatchu
1) How would you describe your personal style?
That’s a tricky one. I feel like my personal style is always evolving. I generally gravitate towards minimalist looks. I would definitely say I like a sleek and tailored kind of look but I also love denim and leather jackets. It appeals to my inner tomboy, but then my girly side comes out with brighter colours and A-line skirts. I do love a good heel though. 
2) What song are you vibing with right now? 
I suck at music, hahaha. I’m usually a good month behind new songs, unless it’s the Weeknd - whom I’m unashamedly obsessed with. I have however just discovered this Lethal Bizzle Song called playground. It just makes me feel happy with the blend of reggae steel drum sounding melody and that heavy baseline! 
Quirky, Brown Chick: Martha Ngatchu
3) Favorite place I have travelled? 
Another tough one, because I literally fall in love with everywhere that I go plus the memories are what make the places really spectacular to me. I think I’d have to say Zagreb in Croatia. It’s just magical, steeped in so much history. It’s got so many cute little corners and then you have Jarun lake which is just so peaceful. Plus the croatians are all very friendly! 

4) Favorite passtime? 
Now let’s not judge me, but I do really enjoy watching trashy reality TV, like the Real Housewives etc. I’m the kind of person who rarely switches off (even when I’m trying to sleep!) so watching trash TV literally allows my brain to shut off. 
5) Tell us about your blog! 
I started It’s in the Details, Dahhling about 3 years ago as a place to share my quest for the perfect wardrobe. I really wanted to eliminate that “I have nothing to wear” feeling that I seem to get more often than I’d like. I like to share wish lists, styling tips and advice on how to build the perfect wardrobe and have a few lifestyle pieces thrown in there. I’m thinking of branching out or bolstering my beauty section and tailor my blog to other black women.
7) What/who inspires you? 
Wow, I take inspiration from absolutely everyone. I’m inspired by my friends, people I meet on nights out or at events, my mum, dad, aunts and uncles. I’m inspired by places like Birmingham (my hometown) city centre or Brick Lane and Shoreditch in London. I’m like a sponge! 

8) What Stereotypes about the Black community do you wish you could destroy?
That Black women are difficult. This is a stereotype I’ve encountered a lot. It’s so irritating! To me it’s a matter of perspective. Black women are labelled difficult, but really all women are difficult. The prejudices and stereotypes perpetuated by our own community mean that a woman of another race will be affectionately called feisty or independent or confident or whatever but a black woman standing up for herself is immediately “difficult” or some other negative connotation. It’s ridiculous. On that same note, I genuinely believe that any person worth your time will be hard work regardless of race. 
9) Anything Else?
Don’t forget to check me out on social media, stop by and say hi too :) 
Instagram - @Marthadahhling 
Twitter - @Marthadahhling

About Us

Quirky, Brown Love is a media outlet for quirky, brown millennials. EST 2014.

Email Bryanda Law, Editor-in-Chief
editor@quirkybrownlove.com