The Traveling Quirk: Grandover Resort in Greensboro, North Carolina

The best thing in the world for me is when I get a chance to start paying my mother back for all of the support she has given me my whole life. 

Most people wait for decade years to do it big for their parents' birthdays (50, 60, 70...); however, I know my mother better than that. This year, she turned 49 years old and I knew that she would want to start this new birth year off right. In her eyes, it's not only a birthday, it's her last year as a 40-something, so that's a "big deal".

My brothers and I wanted to make sure that this was a birthday that she'd never forget, so we surprised her with a stay at a hotel resort that she has always wanted to go to: The Grandover Resort in Greensboro, North Carolina. I enjoyed my discounted stay at The Grandover Resort a little too much and took at least one hundred pictures. I've refined my experience at this luxury stay to a few pictures and description, but know that this weekend at the resort was absolutely magical.
My brothers and I wanted to make sure that we kept my mom's stay at the hotel a surprise, so I checked into the hotel a few hours beforehand for a sneak peak.

The Staff: my check-in was flawless, as I was greeted with respect despite my casual attire. When I stayed at the hotel, there was both a wedding and a Fred Astaire dance performing going on, therefore literally everyone there was dressed to the nines....except me of course. I wondered through the hotel taking pictures of the different aspects of the hotel and was never made to feel like I didn't belong.

The Grounds: the experience to The Grandover Resort starts as soon as you turn onto Club Road. From this semi-private road, you are greeted with beautiful, lush landscaping and the tops of a magnificently grandiose edifice in the distance. Upon checking in at the front desk, you will view a foyer and lobby that will blow your breath away. Every corner of this resort was a perfect picture opportunity, from the 2 state-of-the-art golf courses, the tennis courts, the spa, and the indoor/outdoor pools.

The Food: one of the most important parts for a quirky girl like me! One of my favorite meals of the day is breakfast and my American breakfast here definitely exceeded my expectations. My brothers and I planned my mother a cookout at a family house, so I did not enjoy dinner here; however, there plenty great options in the resort for dining, including a luxurious Italian restaurant, a casual dining option and a few bars.

The Experience: luxury at its finest at a fraction of the price. Even though I was lucky enough to enjoy a discounted stay, the resort offers very reasonable prices. And yes, this is indeed a resort and not a hotel, with its private roads, grand entry ways and private shopping. If I could sum up my experience in one word: enchanting.
After my mom's family cookout, I told her that I had a surprise for her and had her follow my car to the resort. As soon as I got out of the car, my mom hugged me while jumping up and down because she was so happy! Mission accomplished.

If you are ever in North Carolina and want to treat yourself to luxury or are looking for a place to have your wedding, conferences or events, I can first-hand recommend that The Grandover Resort is the place to stay!

A big thank you to The Grandover Resort for treating me and my family so well and for making my mother's birthday wishes come true!

About Us

Quirky, Brown Love is a media outlet for quirky, brown millennials. EST 2014.

Email Bryanda Law, Editor-in-Chief
editor@quirkybrownlove.com