The Melanated Bosses Series: Olivia Johnson

Inspired from the "Melanated Goddesses" movement, I present to you the Melanated Bosses Series: a series highlighting young, brown woman bosses from all over. Meet Olivia of Liv Lovely.
1. Tell us about your entrepreneurial ventures! 
I am a freelance writer, and recently started my own blog Livlovely.com, THE place to flourish in your career, relationships and life! I am also a freelance videographer and video editor with a business in the field (Silver Iris Entertainment). I am expanding that to offer photography and graphic design, I want it to be a visual marketing firm. Lastly, I am the executive producer, director, and co-host of "The Lady's Guide: Lead, Love, Learn", a web talk show centered around the advancement of women in their personal and professional lives.

2. Did you experience any unforseen struggles when starting your business(es)? 
Absolutely, I think you learn so much when you actually start your business and get out there. I think the first thing I had to deal with right away was an unruly client. I learned very quickly how to structure my contracts and make sure that all expectations are laid out prior to doing business with someone.

3.What inspires you to keep going? 
Knowing that this is my purpose definitely helps. I have dreams and I want to accomplish them! I am very much a visual person, and whenever I am not feeling my best, I will picture the life I hope to have and that helps me too. But ultimately, knowing that I am living my purpose and doing what I am supposed to do with my life is the most motivating of all. Being of service to those around me is very rewarding.
4. What's next on your business agenda? Are you planning to expand? 
Yes! I am continuing to freelance write and grow my website. Later this year into early next year, I will be launching a youtube channel and podcast for the Liv Lovely community! I am also expanding my videography business to offer graphic design and photography.

5. How did you determine your personal style? 
I would say classic with a touch of edge :)

6.Do you have any quirky characteristics that you believe make you unique? 
Hmm that's an interesting question, I haven't noticed anything quirky about myself but i'm sure others that work with me have!
7. Any advice to any 20-somethings out there wanting to start their own business? 
Feel the fear and do it anyway! When we first start out in business, there are a lot of scary things that can come up because you are still learning your way. It's oaky to feel scared, but push yourself to grow and you can't go wrong. Also, be sure to network and create strategic partnerships with the right people. That will get you ahead of your counterparts in no time! I actually wrote a blog about this very subject: http://livlovely.com/5-steps-starting-business-beginners/

Make sure to check out Olivia's blog, as well as to check her out on social media:

About Us

Quirky, Brown Love is a media outlet for quirky, brown millennials. EST 2014.

Email Bryanda Law, Editor-in-Chief
editor@quirkybrownlove.com