The Melanated Bosses Series: Julian Kiganda

Inspired from the "Melanated Goddesses" movement, I present to you the Melanated Bosses Series: a series highlighting young, brown woman bosses from all over. Meet Julian from Bold & Fearless.
1. Tell us about your entrepreneurial ventures!
My name is Julian B. Kiganda and I am the founder of Bold & Fearless, an inspirational online magazine for women of Africa & the Diaspora who are passionate about finding and living out their purpose. I started B&F in 2013, right before I decided to shut down my design & marketing firm I had run for almost 15 years. Since launching Bold & Fearless, I have produced several products that are meant to empower, inspire and motivate women to live out their best lives including Quote Cards, live events, and videos.

2. Did you experience any unforseen struggles when starting your business(es)?
There are always going to be struggles. In my first business, I didn't realize how long it would take to build a clientele. I also didn't foresee that I would eventually have to close it down and start over. Because I've been through so many storms in business, the most important thing I've come to understand is that having a purpose, passion and a plan, and you're willing to work hard, you will eventually get to where you need to be.

3.What inspires you to keep going?
My greatest inspiration is knowing that I am using every gift God gave me to the best of my ability. I like to say that I want to be completely used up when I die. As long as I have breath in me and ideas that I haven't yet birthed, I don't have a choice but to keep going.

4. What's next on your business agenda? Are you planning to expand?
I recently re-launched my site, www.boldandfearless.me, and expanded it with 13 new contributors. My goal now is to establish the work flow and build the brand. In the future, there will definitely be expansion, but am very focused on getting systems and a strong team in place in my current stage.

5. How did you determine your personal style?
I determined my personal style by learning and becoming very clear about my message, my mission and what I'm most passionate about. You have to get clear about what you're about in order to develop a strong personal style that you will embrace. I've always loved lots of color and energy so whatever I do, I bring those aesthetics with me.

6. Do you have any quirky characteristics that you believe make you unique?
I tend to build everything in my head before I birth it in the real world. It's not really something I can explain, except to say it's a gift. The problem is, I'm often building more than one thing--often 3 or 4--so I call it "creative schizophrenia."

7. Any advice to any 20-somethings out there wanting to start their own business?
Get clear on who your audience is and be extremely passionate about what you're doing. Have a strong support network and don't try to go this entrepreneurial journey alone. It's not easy. Remember that you're always going to have challenges, but the key is to stay more focused on the opportunities than on the problems. Make sure that whatever is driving you is more important than money--how is what you're pursuing going to help someone else?

Make sure to follow Julian on social media:
Facebook: www.facebook.com/BoldandFearless1
Twitter: www.twitter.com/BoldFearless1
Instagram: www.instagram.com/BoldFearless1
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/BoldFearless1
Periscope: @BoldFearless1

About Us

Quirky, Brown Love is a media outlet for quirky, brown millennials. EST 2014.

Email Bryanda Law, Editor-in-Chief
editor@quirkybrownlove.com