I See Myself in Sandra Bland

Sandra Bland, a beautiful black woman, a member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Incorporated, and a candidate for a new job could have been any woman; however, due to a minor traffic violation, she is now dead from "apparent suicide". A video was released that shows Bland's arrest from a group of unneccesarily hostile white police officers as she was traveling to Texas. Bland was also

Pop culture blogger, Awesomely Luuvie, spoke out on her Facebook about the situation and said the following:

"The thing about Sandra Bland's story is that she could be any of us. She's the vocal sister yelling ‪#‎BlackLivesMatter‬. She's the person road-tripping in the summer. She's the young professional who is trying to move up in the world. She's the sometimes not perfect driver who made that traffic violation. She is easily any one of us. And now she's gone because she got arrested, slammed to the ground, taken to jail. The idea that she hung herself is unacceptable, unbelievable and absolutely preposterous.... I SEE myself in Sandra, and that frightens me more than I can articulate. I am so sorry that we have to add ‪#‎SandraBland‬ to the list of people who became hashtags at the hands of police in America. ‪#‎SayHerName‬"

I cannot agree more with Luvvie's statement. At only 28 years old, Sandra Bland could have easily been me or someone that I love. I'm outspoken about the Black community, I'm a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated and also a young professional. I fit the profile and I live in the South.

Please keep the family of Sandra Bland in your prayers and hold the Waller County Police Department accountable for revealing the truth of how Sandra Bland died.


About Us

Quirky, Brown Love is a media outlet for quirky, brown millennials. EST 2014.

Email Bryanda Law, Editor-in-Chief
editor@quirkybrownlove.com