Black People, It's Okay If You Were Not Raised in the 'Hood

For some reason, living close to the poverty line in a high crime area has become glamorized for everyone...except for those who are actually living the life. 

People like the idea of feeling like they overcame something, so claiming that they are from 'over the tracks' somehow makes any achievement or short coming in their life seem more valid or remarkable.
I understand that some people whip out this lie when they are faced with conflict because somehow being raised in a neighborhood out of the suburbs automatically makes you a world-class street fighter, right?

A few months ago, I wrote an article called Stop Trying To Relate To Me! Thought on Being Your Only Black Friend. I was inspired to write this post because I noticed that any time that I got into the car with a non-black person, they would automatically change the station to hip hop and would randomly throw "yo" and "homegirl" into their vocabulary. I absolutely hate when people do this and thought that it was so ignorant until I realized that some Black people do the same thing around other Black people.

The first few years of my life weren't spent in the best area of town; however, I have no problem admitting that most of my life has been spent in somebody's suburb. I speak relaxed yet with clarity and the only time that my voice changes is when I go to work (just like everyone else). Most of my family, however does not live in the suburbs. My brothers and I get told that we talk "white" because we don't speak with the same venacular as some people in our family. As much as I don't like the term "talking white", it at least shows that I don't feel the need to change the way that I speak to appease anyone, and I know that my family wouldn't really want me to change the way that I speak.

Imagine how insulting it must be when a Black man from the suburbs who normally speaks proper and acts a certain way around other people, comes around a group of men he presumes to be from "the hood" and starts slurring his speach and acting hard. As a Black man, he just sterotyped his fellow Black man. Did he assume that because these men grew up over the tracks that they would only know how to talk to people who sound like them? As much as I hate to say this, Black people that are not from the hood who feel the need to change the way they speak around people they presume to be from the hood are aiding the stereotypes as much as non-Black people who say "yo" and "homeboy" because they think that's the only way we'll accept them.

What are your thoughts?

RELEVANT READS
1. I'm Quirky and Black, But I Don't Watch Anime
2.Hail To The Quirky, Brown Girl: No You Cannot Take My Black Card
3.Black People Don’t Tip: The Stereotype That Is Costing Me a Fortune
4.Google, I Prefer My Love With Clothes On: Thoughts on "Black Love"
5.7 Black Bloggers Talk Stereotypes That Are Plaguing The Black Community

About Us

Quirky, Brown Love is a media outlet for quirky, brown millennials. EST 2014.

Email Bryanda Law, Editor-in-Chief
editor@quirkybrownlove.com