5 Life Lessons I Learned From Bob Marley (Guest Post)


[Written by Kathleen of House of Polynesia]

Reggae music has always been a huge part of my life growing up, I would hear it in the car, school, grocery store, the beach,  it was pretty much everywhere. And local Hawaiian reggae music has a lot of influence from Bob Marley, Steel Pulse, and many other Jamaican Musicians. It is a genre of music that to me brings me to a more mindful place. Many people see Bob Marley as a Jamaican Musician who smoked weed made some songs and then died, but he was so much more than that. He was bi-racial growing up in the rural parts of Jamaica during a time when mixed children were looked down on. He was a peace keeper between the many poor black Jamaican citizens and the aristocratic white government. He eat, slept, drank, and breathed music, I devoured the documentary that us currently on Netflix about his life, it was amazing to see him work and hear his close friends and family give their testimonials about him and his passion for life. So I wanted to share some life lessons I took away from the film.

The 5 Life Lessons I Learned From Bob Marley
1. Be who you are and not a copy of some one else. I am bi-racial and at times I get caught up in trying to be the person I think others want to see instead of who I truly am. Bob never gave up who he was to please others, he always stood by what he believed and who he was even if that meant giving up an opportunity in his career. Stay true to your self and life will be a lot more enjoyable.

2. There will always be people in this world that will try to destroy you, but it's how you react in these situations that will determine if you will over come them. I've learned that life at times really sucks but I remind my self that I am very blessed to be alive and healthy,which helps squash those sucky moments when pop up in life. Always remember you are blessed and don't allow others to darken your heart or steal your happiness.

3. Music is a powerful healing tool. I didn't watch a lot of tv growing up but I did listen to music 24/7. I remember listening to cds from beginning to end over and over again, weather I was happy, sad, mad, or heartbroken music was a huge part of expressing those emotions. And with Bob his music literally brought together Jamaica during turbulent times in it's independence. People could connect to it and heal from it. Find the music that speaks to your soul and take time out to enjoy it, I promise it will do you a world of good.

4. In order to live a full life you must take care of your mind as well as your body. Bob was a Rastafarian, and in that religion they believed in feeding the soul with wholesome foods. Yes they believed in smoking weed but that's beside the point. When you take care of your mind and body life tends to be a lot easier to manage. When you eat more of what you need and less of what is good at the moment your body has more energy and your mind becomes sharper. 

5. "Possessions make you rich? I am rich on life, forever" - Bob Marley. There was a scene in his documentary when he is asked by a reporter about how much he makes and if he is rich. Bob ask him how much do I need to make to be rich and what would make me rich. The reporter says well do you have a lot of stuff? Bob asks " Possessions make you rich?" And he says it in a way that makes you realize what a silly concept that is. Enjoy life in the moment for life it is fleeting, just let your obsession over "stuff" cloud your path to real happiness which is life it's self.  

I hope this post helps you re-calibrate your life to get the most out of it. And don't forget to stop by House of Polynesia.

Also make sure to follow Kathleen on social media!

About Us

Quirky, Brown Love is a media outlet for quirky, brown millennials. EST 2014.

Email Bryanda Law, Editor-in-Chief
editor@quirkybrownlove.com